So last week I got my v0.6.1 PCBs from DirtyPCBs and I decided to solder one of the boards and see how it improves upon version 0.6.0. This is my second time working with 0603 and QFNs. The first time didn’t work so well that this time I had to get a stencil and solder paste. It turned out to be a pretty good experience. A quick swipe of paste onto the board, placed a few components, just hot air the boards and it was done in less than an hour! Shiny and everything.
Got it hooked to the computer, BSLed fine, loaded the firmware, keyboard detected, every keys works, except for F1, 2, W, CapsLock, S and X :(. Well that sucked. Turns out a pin wasn’t soldered under the QFN chip, This has become a bit annoying. Maybe the change to QFN to save $2.50 on cost isn’t exactly worth it.